Healthy eating: Small goals = Big changes
The food you eat can affect your health and your risk for certain diseases. To eat healthier food, you may need to change some of your daily habits. You don’t need to make huge changes to eat healthier, and you don’t have to change your habits all at once. It’s best to set small goals and change your habits a little bit at a time. Over time, small changes can make a big difference in your health!
Looking to start your healthy eating journey, but not sure how? This information will help you make useful changes for healthy eating.
- Changing your eating habits and your environment can help you eat healthier foods.
- A healthy diet is good for your overall health. It also can help you reach a healthy weight and stay there.
- To improve your eating habits, it’s best to make small lifestyle changes that you can keep doing over time.
How can you change your eating habits?
To eat a healthy diet, you may need to make some changes. Remember that it’s best to change your eating habits a little bit at a time. Small changes are easier to make and can lead to better health!
Here are some ways to make healthy changes in your eating habits:
- Keep fruits, low-fat dairy products (low-fat milk and low-fat yogurt), vegetables, and whole-grain foods at home and at work.
- Pack a healthy lunch and snacks for work.
- Put your snacks on a plate instead of eating from the package. Doing so helps you control how much you eat.
- Don’t skip or delay meals and schedule snacks. If you ignore your feelings of hunger, you may end up eating too much or choosing an unhealthy snack.
- Drink water instead of high-sugar drinks (including high-sugar juice drinks).
This information is adapted from a Healthwise article and is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. ActiveHealth® Management and Healthwise are not responsible for the decisions you make based on this information. If you have specific health care needs or would like more complete health information, please see your doctor or other health care provider.
© 1995-2018 Healthwise, Inc. ActiveHealth and MyActiveHealth are registered or service marks of ActiveHealth Management, Inc. ©2018 ActiveHealth Management, Inc. All Rights Reserved. 03/2018